Property (Owning & Renting)

How do I find out what flood zone I am in?
Please contact the Public Works Department, (805) 449-2400, or via email at

How do I get a copy of a deed?
If your deed has been recorded in the Official County Recording Office of the County of Ventura, you may request a copy from the recording office in person at 800 South Victoria Avenue, Ventura, by phone at (805) 654-2292, or by using their website at

How do I record a mortgage or deed?
In order to record any mortgage or deed, you need to contact the Official County Recording Office to find out what the requirements are prior to recording any document.  The Recording Office for the County of Ventura is located in the County of Ventura Administration Office at 800 South Victoria Avenue, Ventura, California 93004.  Their telephone number is (805) 654-2292.

I am plagued by rodents and bugs.
Please contact the County of Ventura Department of Environmental Health at (805) 654-2813 for information.  Also visit Integrated Pest Management Program for less toxic alternative ways for pest management provided by the County of Ventura Solid Waste Management Department.

I have a problem with my water/electric/gas bill.
Please visit Utility Service Providers for a list of service providers and contact information.

Is there a City ordinance regarding how early in the morning a lawnmower, leaf blower, or powered equipment can be used in residential areas?
Section 5-21.02 of the Thousand Oaks Municipal Code (Powered Equipment in Residential Areas) states: 

Between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. of the following day, no person shall operate any lawnmower, backpack blower, lawn edger, riding tractor, or any other machinery, equipment, or other mechanical or electrical device, or hand tool which creates a loud, raucous or impulsive sound, within any residential zone or within any commercial zone which can be heard from any inhabited real property in a residential zone (Section 2 of Ord. No. 1085-NS, effective October 2, 1990).

Is there rent control in the City of Thousand Oaks?
The City only has rent control for a small number of apartment units and all mobile homes.  Apartment rent control does not apply to any tenant who moved into their apartment unit after 1987.  Only tenants who have lived in the same rent-controlled unit since 1987 are eligible for rent control.  Call the Housing Division at (805) 449-2393 or email for more information.

What are my rights as a renter?  What do I do if I want to complain about my landlord?

The City of Thousand Oaks contracts with the Housing Rights Center (HRC) of Los Angeles for FREE fair housing services to Thousand Oaks residents and community members. HRC offers housing discrimination complaint investigation, landlord/tenant counseling, predatory lending referrals, outreach and education, and legal and advocacy services. For additional information, contact HRC at (800) 477-5977, or visit HRC’s website at   Housing Rights Center of Los Angeles 

What programs does the City have for first-time homebuyers?
Information on the programs offered by the City for first time homebuyers is available at the Housing Program page (click here). You may also call the Housing Division at (805) 449-2393 or email

Where can I get information on public housing?
The Area Housing Authority administers subsidized housing programs in the City of Thousand Oaks, such as Section 8 vouchers/certificates and public housing. The City also contracts with Many Mansions to provide housing counseling and advice on tenant/landlord issues in Thousand Oaks. For more information, contact the Area Housing Authority of Ventura County, (805) 480-9991 or (800) 800-2123 or visit