About the City
The City of Thousand Oaks is a premiere community recognized for being one of the most desirable places in all of California to live, work, recreate, and raise a family. Located in between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara in Ventura County, 8 to 12 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, Thousand Oaks is nestled against the Santa Monica Mountains and with over 15,000 acres of natural publicly owned open space located within the City’s boundaries.
This open space contains 75 miles of trails for hiking, biking, or just leisurely walking. While this natural acreage gives our community the best of nature, another source of pride is the Civic Arts Plaza. Opened in 1994, this jewel of cultural arts has become a beacon for our region featuring world-class entertainment, musicals, concerts, children’s shows, ballets, and much more. Another world class event that City is proud to be a part of is the Amgen Tour of California.
Thousand Oaks has served as host to the final stages of this international cycling race on several occasions. The Amgen Tour of California is the nation’s largest and most recognized cycling event. Thousand Oaks values collaboration with residents and businesses. This commitment to public-private partnerships is most evident in the adoption of the City’s blueprint for a revitalized downtown, the Thousand Oaks Boulevard Specific Plan. Some of the City’s most impressive accomplishments have come in the realm of infrastructure improvements. Public infrastructure enhances quality of life, and ensures the mobility of residents and businesses, now and in the future.
Thousand Oaks also strives to be a steward of the environment. Our efforts at local electricity generation have also been very successful, especially at our wastewater treatment plant. Thousand Oaks is a family-oriented community of 128,000, and the base of several thousand companies who provide over 70,000 jobs.
It is home to excellent schools, outstanding parks, and a myriad of shopping opportunities, including the largest auto mall in the nation.
The City of Thousand Oaks has earned well-deserved accolades:
- Ranked #1 on FBI Safest Cities Rankings in California and #4 in the nation with a population of 100,000+
- Ranked #4 on Kiplinger's "10 Great Cities to Raise Your Kids"
- Bicycling Magazine's Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities in America
- Featured in the Safewise 50 Safest Cities in California
- Tree City USA
- 2013 Top 50 ranking for the Government Green Fleet Award
- Los Robles was the only hospital in Ventura County to be honored with an "A" grade in Fall 2013
- Received recognition of excellence for TOTV by the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors
- Named one of the 50 greenest cities in the US by Popular Science Magazine
- Trail City National Hall of Fame